The Honorable Charles D. Abood Memorial Scholarship Fund
“The purpose of life is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson.
WHAT IS THE HONORABLE CHARLES D. ABOOD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND?
We are saddened by the recent passing of long-time board member and advocate Chuck Abood. Chuck has been an integral part of the Courageous Community Services (formerly Camp Courageous) board for over a decade. He worked tirelessly during these years, often quietly, behind the scenes, to impact the lives of individuals with developmental disabilities.
Camp’s heartfelt sympathy goes out to his wife, Gail, daughters, grandkids, family, and friends. To them, we say thank you for sharing such a wonderful person with so many others. We are all better people thanks to Chuck’s huge impact on our lives.
The Abood family established the Honorable Charles Abood Memorial Scholarship Fund because of their deep admiration of how Chuck advocated for his brother John and others with developmental disabilities.
The specific purpose of this scholarship program is to provide the Courageous Acres camp experience to children and adults who would most benefit from attending camp but may lack the financial means to do so. The Abood family felt that a scholarship endowment providing tuition assistance to these children and adults would serve as an appropriate living memorial to Chuck and a tribute to the countless hours Chuck spent contributing to the success of Courageous Acres (formerly Camp Courageous).
A volunteer Board of Trustees administers the scholarship program. They maintain longtime affiliations with Courageous Community Services and are devoted to the program’s development and success.
Assets of the Honorable Charles D. Abood Memorial Scholarship Fund are used only to provide a specific summer camp program for these deserving individuals. They are not utilized for the camp’s capital expenses or ordinary operations.
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR A SUMMER CAMP SCHOLARSHIP?
- The applicant must fill out the form linked here. You will be asked to provide some basic information.
- May 1 is the annual application deadline. All information must be received by that date to be considered for a camp scholarship.
- Scholarships are awarded by a majority vote of the Trustees, with the approval of the Executive Director. The Trustees may elect to award no scholarships in any given year.
- When recipients are notified, they will receive information about completing the next steps, including filling out a standard camp application.
- After the camp session, each scholarship recipient or family member must submit a letter to the Trustees describing their experience at Courageous Acres. The Trustees may forward copies of this letter to the Abood family and other contributors.
CAN I CONTRIBUTE TO THE ABOOD SCHOLARSHIP FUND?
The Abood family, the Trustees, and the friends of Courageous Community Services join in seeking donations. Because administrative and mailing expenses are paid independently by the Trustees, 100% of your contribution goes directly to the endowment to benefit the individuals sponsored by the scholarships. We ask for your generous donation so that the Honorable Charles D. Abood Memorial Scholarship Fund may continue to provide people with disabilities with a rich and meaningful experience of camp life.
Please make your check payable to the Honorable Charles D. Abood Memorial Scholarship Fund, and mail it to:
Courageous Community Services
12701 Waterville Swanton Road
Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
Additionally, you can donate online here.